Monday, July 2, 2012

Run To You Revived

Wife from the video Run to You by Bryan Adams (1984)
she discovers his other "lover" which is a guitar
    So a few months ago, YouTube decided my cover of Bryan Adams' Run To You was actually stolen, that I had taken the guitar tracks and karaoke'd over it.  This went into preliminary litigation as it was reviewed more crucially.  Yesterday, YouTube decided to settle out-of-court and allow the video to run, as I offered original tracks from my AudioBox Presonus Studio recording program individually to prove otherwise.
  Honestly, it's not that good a version.  It's obvious from a guitarists' point-of-view that the tracks are not a from 1969 Fender Stratocaster.  It has a distinctive Ibanez sound.  I love Ibanez's electrics.  They're so versatile!  I've had mine since 1993.  In my version of the song, I put strong emphasis on the solo portion, as when I was a kid in 1984 I thought it was so powerful and yet so simple a riff.  Like violinists, several sounding more huge in an orchestra than just one, I created that "Wall of Sound" using my "Thing Ring" guitar rig setup.  When viewed at 1080i on YouTube you get a feel for how "big" it is, starting at around 2:06 or so.  I emphasized it by dropping the volume out right before the riff, which I feel gives an explosive tidal wave, drenching the listener with my "Wall o' Sound" technique of 10 stereo tracks of the same guitar riff to create an "orchestra" of electric guitars.  Not particularly expert on the bass, I used a subsonic Octaver to drop-down the bass guitar to around 4 Hz so that subwoofers can appreciate the depth.  On a full-blown nice stereo system it'll sound killer (not so great on PC speakers, though some nice $500 headphones might equate it nicer).  I've played it on my mid-to-high grade Denon (2 down from their best unit) and some 1970's Kenwoods with a JBL subwoofer and it's punchy.  Quite proud of it, really.  Of course, most people focus on the singing.  I dirtied it up and made it gritty-sounding.  I used a live-mic for the recording (which it turns out is very dificult to do for studio recording I found out later, an e985 Sensodyne, I now have a CAP Equitek E300 which is killer).  I had keyboards heavy in the mix but I tamed them when I remastered the recording a few months later.
  I think it came out good, but, well, I'm more of a backup vocalist.  If you decide to listen, please consider the guitar-works.

No comments:

Post a Comment